#OmegaT Merge/Split script updated

These days I often get jobs in IDML format. Luckily such files can be translated in OmegaT either with Okapi filters plugin, or, if the files are not so plain and simple, by creating an OmegaT project in Okapi Rainbow. But it’s somewhat beyond the point. The point is that with these files the wonderful script to merge and split segments wasn’t working, at least for merging.
As you’ve rightly guessed, this tiny post is to inform that it has been fixed, and the updated script could be downloaded from the SF.net repository.

Happy merging and splitting, fellow OmegaTers!

Unlock Text Caret on #OmegaT Startup

As many have probably noticed, in OmegaT it’s now possible to unlock cursor. This means that one can select and copy text anywhere in the Editor pane without using the mouse. With the unlocked cursor you simply press up or down, and the text caret will move beyond the target segment. The lock is triggered with F2. Cool! But there’s no way to make this behavior default — every time OmegaT is started, cursor is locked.

Since I prefer it to be unlocked most of the time, here’s a little workaround. Below is a little script that needs to go into scripts_folder/application_startup/:

def gui() {
    editor.editor.lockCursorToInputArea = false
    editor.editor.updateLockInsertMessage()
}
return

This little snippet should be saved as a plaintext file with extension groovy, for instance, unlock.groovy. Next time OmegaT 4.2 or newer is started, the cursor is going to be unlocked from the get-go!

Zip current #OmegaT project

Here is a script that packs the current OmegaT project into a zip-file in the same location as the project folder.

Since the script doesn’t exclude anything, it might be a good idea to use another script to remove target and backup files.

Big kudos to cApStAn sprl for sponsoring the script for zipping.

 

#OmegaT Segment Status in Notes

OmegaT is just an excellent translation tool, but there’s still some room for improvement when it comes to using it for revising translated materials. I really hope that in future what I’m about to present in this post will become completely obsolete, but for now it might be welcomed by people who needed to mark segments with different status markers.

A big shout-out goes to Marc Prior for coming up with the idea and backing up the development.

Continue reading

Clear #OmegaT volatile and backup files

OmegaT has a great safety feature: it automatically backs up project memory files (i. e. project_save.tmx) on every project (re)load, plus it creates another backup file on every save (if the project was changed since the last load or save). Those backup files can be used in an extremely rare case when something happens to the main project memory and all of the work seems to be lost. It happened to me once when I was only starting to use OmegaT as my main tool, and was I glad this backup feature was thought of!

But this very feature can become a tiny problem, especially in ongoing projects where project_save.tmx keeps on growing bigger and bigger. While creating backups is great and very helpful, there’s no routine to remove old backup files. It isn’t uncommon in some of the projects that I work at that project_save.tmx is a few MB’s, but omegat folder where that file is located, is over 100 MB’s or more, and only because of all the backups. With modern disk sizes it’s not a big deal, and it doesn’t degrade OmegaT’s performance a bit, but sometimes there’s a need to make a project slim again (like when you’re going to send it to your colleague or client, or copy it to cloud storage or another computer, or you’re obsessed with keeping everything trim and slim and tidy).

240px-broom_icon-svg

So, anyway, after all these numerous words here’s what I’m getting at. At Sourceforge.net (download link) there’s this script that removes all the backups of project_save.tmx (including the ones created in team projects before performing sync), everything in target folder (as usually in the projects that need this cleaning, source files are changed, but old target files sometimes just keep on piling up), and also three TMX files created in the root of the project every time target files are produced.
About a year ago I put together the original version of this script, but this new version downloadable from Sourceforge.net contains a few improvements and can easily be localised if you care to be warned about file deletion in your language.

Use it to your heart’s content and your own risk, and I’ll be very thankful for any questions, suggestions or comments.

DISCLAIMER: If you lose your work without any hope to recover because all backups have been deleted by this script, it ain’t my fault. You should backup regularly and not hope that OmegaT will do it for you.


But as of now,
Good luck!

Merging and Splitting Segments in #OmegaT without editing segmentation rules.

One of the complains OmegaT gets is impossibility to split and merge segments without editing projects’ or global segmentation rules.  There were a few attempts to address the issue, but they required a third-party utility that would edit segmentation.conf. One of the most recent attempt was Dimitry Prihodko’s Merge utility. If I understood it right, Dimitry asked Yu Tang to rework his thingy, and Yu Tang came up with a Groovy script that did all the merging using only OmegaT internals. It wasn’t limited to any OS or dependent on other tools (so much for hard Pascal coding, Dimitry). There was only a minor issue that the script couldn’t be used to split segments. And that’s what I’ve added and what I’m sharing here. Continue reading